Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

#BellLetsTalk

Today February 12th is #BellLetsTalk Day, which is an initiative by Bell Canada to raise awareness on Mental Health in Canada. In doing so, Bell Canada donates 5¢ for every text message sent, long distance call made, every Twitter retweet with the hashtag #BellLetsTalk, and Facebook share. Last year raised $3,926,014.20!!

As most of you know now who have read my blogs I have been a strong advocate for this for quite some time now as I have had my fair share of battles with Mental Health and if you weren't aware I'm sure you may have watched some of the news articles in recent weeks chronicling the events in a recent hockey game that I came public with through my blog.

People have opinions and that is something that neither you or I can or ever will be able to change. Some think negatively and other positively that's just part of life! One thing I am quite aware of though is that 1 in every 5 Canadians today suffer from some form of Mental Illness, yet those 2 words combined are almost taboo in today's society and the there is a stigma attached to it which is not an easy one to remove.

 The whole purpose of my blog last week was not to  hurt anyone or signal anyone out as i never once made reference to anyone's name in any shape or form. My purpose was as it is in every blog I write and that is to try and raise awareness about issues I have faced and of at the end of the day I am able to make a change to just one person's current situation or future then I have accomplished to do what I set out to do. I guess it is somewhat similar to #BellLetsTalk in that they are trying through all mediums possible to raise awareness about these diseases that affect nearly 20% of ALL Canadians today!

I want to make one thing clear and that is that there NEVER was any intention of my blog being a "publicity stunt" as stated on TV by the Head Coach of the Caps, and as he stated "it's now public knowledge about Todd and his issues", well then....someone let him know that Elvis has left the building! My purpose was to raise awareness about what goes on and that changes need to be made. Using such a forum and topic as Mental Health for a publicity stunt is unheard, absurd and ignorant and that is why today's initiative by Bell is so important to not only me but to 1,000's & 1,000's of Canadians and Newfoundland and Labradorians who battle some form of Mental Illness everyday.

If I could ask just one simple favor from all of you readers out there and anyone that either suffers or knows of someone that suffers from a mental illness to either share the blog or give it a tweet with the hashtag.....#BellLet'sTalk, it'll take just a second out of your day and the difference it makes could be the difference that someone needs to get through their day!

Thank you,

TCG

'My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no one’s doing but my own. I am the force. I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice, my responsibility. Win or lose only I hold the key to my destiny.'

Author Unknown

 


1 comment: